Write a paper that addresses only one of the following question sets. These question sets pertain to chapters 21-25 of your text book, The American Journey. Be sure to address all parts of the question set that you choose (except for #1 and #6 which instruct you to be selective). Your writing assignment should be typed, with the body of the paper double-spaced (regular font, size 12 or 14) having one-inch margins and approximately 1,000 words in length (no less than 900 words and no more than 1,200 words). You must use the word processing formats MS-WORD or RFT when writing your paper. These are the only formats that the Drop Box will process. Your assignment should include a cover page (to include your name, date submitted, course name and number, class time, and title of your paper); the body of the paper (which must include citations); and a works cited section (to include full citations for all sources used) at the end of your paper. No quotations will be permitted; paraphrase (use your own words and phrases) to summarize information obtained from your sources. Changing an occasional word in what is otherwise copied from a source does not constitute paraphrasing. Thoughts not your own, even when paraphrased, must be cited using MLA format. For additional instructions, refer to the document “General Instructions for Writing Assignments” which is found under “course documents” in the “Content” portion of the Falcon Online course shell. Your paper is due in the Drop Box no later than March 25.
1. Discuss only one of the following areas of reform advocated by American Progressives during the Progressive Era (1900-1920), and identify and describe what the Progressives were able to accomplish:
• social reforms, to include improving working and housing conditions, mediating labor disputes, educational reforms, and combating vice such as, drinking, drug use, prostitution, child labor)
• reform of the political system and structure of government (national, state, and local level)
• regulation of big business, breaking up the big trusts, and reforming the banking system
• conservation of natural resources and preservation of wilderness areas (include a discussion of the conflict between the preservationists and conservationists).
2. Discuss the arguments both for and against imperialism that Americans debated during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Which groups generally supported imperialism and why? Which groups generally opposed imperialism and why?
(continued on back)
3. Identify and summarize the key provisions of President Wilson’s Fourteen Points. Which of these Fourteen Points were incorporated into the Versailles Treaty of 1919? Discuss the objections to the treaty by the Irreconcilables and Reservationists in the Senate, and explain why the treaty was defeated in the Senate. What role did President Wilson play in the Treaty’s defeat in the Senate?
4. Discuss what your text book labels the “culture wars” of the 1920s. What were the main issues in these wars, and why were they so hotly contested during the 1920s? In what ways did the 1925 Scopes Trial symbolize and dramatize the “culture wars”?
5. What factors contributed to the economic boom of the 1920s? What segments of American society failed to benefit from this boom? Despite its apparent health, what were the underlying weaknesses of the U.S. economy during the 1920s?
6. Discuss one (and only one) aspect of the Great Depression that interests you. It could be a discussion of a New Deal program (for example, Social Security, the CCC, TVA, or WPA), or the reforms affecting the business or financial institutions, or a topic that focuses on the hardships faced by Americans during the Depression.