Read the following chapters in:Group Behavior in Organizations:
- Chapter 3: Dimensions of Group Structure
- Chapter 4: Social Roles, Reference Groups, and Structural Influences
This website offers four short videos on building and managing groups, with an emphasis on geographically dispersed members, and supports the “Group Development Process” discussion for this week.
To participate in the following discussions, go to this week’s Discussion link in the left navigation.
- Group Development Process
Consider the Tuckman group stage process schema as discussed in Chapter 3 of your text. Identify specific actions a manager can take at each stage of the process to best help a group reach the performing stage. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts.
- Influence of Informal Groups
Informal groups exist in almost every kind of organization. Answer the following questions and provide examples to support your position:
- What types of informal groups do you belong to in your workplace?
- How do norms of the informal groups to which you belong influence your behavior and that of other group members?
Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts.