Reading Guide Questions for Module 4.
Instructions Reading Guide Questions are meant to show that you have carefully read the assigned readings and understand what you have read. The length of the responses will vary. Sometimes a simple definition or list is all that is required. Other times a more substantial response is needed. You should be able to tell by the nature of the question itself. Always write in complete and grammatically correct sentences. Points will be deducted for incomplete answers. Please spell check and proof read before submitting your responses. For those who need help with writing, recourse to SU’s tutorial aids is highly encouraged. Due Thursday by 11:45pm.
1. "These are the most hopeful of times since Christ was born in Bethlehem" (Johnson). Why was Johnson so optimistic about America as the new year ushered in 1965?
2. What was the tactic of "search and destroy", and why did this prove so ineffectual in Vietnam? Do you think the measure of the "kill ratio" gave a truly realistic evaluation as to the war’s success?
3. What strategy did Martin Luther King and others reuse at Selma that had proven effective two years earlier at Montgomery?
4. In his We Shall Overcome speech, whom did Johnson consider the "real hero" of the civil rights struggle?
5. In what way did Watts prove disastrous and a setback for the civil rights movement?
6. What were the main features of the immigration Act of 1965?
7. In what ways did the Immigration Act unwittingly open the doors to serious problems that our nation is trying to deal with today?