Read the Lake Pleasant case after you have completed the reading for the week. Answer the following questions for the case in your initial discussion post (minimum of 250 words):
- Is this an example of right versus right moral dilemma or right versus wrong? Explain your answer either by identifying the two stakeholders and the rights in conflict or by explaining what makes this a right versus wrong situation and the rule or law governing the situation.
- What were Frank Armani’s moral obligations? Which have the strongest claim upon him?
- How should Armani go about making a decision on how to handle the meeting with Mr. Petz?
- What were Armani’s options for the meeting? What would you choose to do in his position?
This section lists options that can be used to view responses.
|Making Decisions as a Leader|
Find two articles no older than 2002 on the stakeholder versus shareholder debate. Identify three arguments for each side from the articles. Why do you need to consider both of these perspectives when making decisions as a leader?
|What should you do?|
Consider you are Cheryl and are the new CEO of Hammond’s. What should you do? Is there a difference between the “right” thing to do and the politically “smart” thing to do for Cheryl’s job? Have you been faced with a similar situation or known someone who has? What was the outcome?
Doing the “right” thing
After reading the articles assigned this week:
· Briefly discuss with the class what dilemmas you chose to examine in week 3.
· Continue with the examples you identified in your week one journal and examined in week three.
· Identify a range of possible solution that could have been considered.
· What criteria were used in making the decision?
· Would you use different criteria now?
· How would you evaluate the decision?
|Why you make the decisions you do|
After you read the week’s resources, please answer the following:
· Reflect on the personal influences, including the values and morals, you believe are important to you and/or others when facing right versus right, and right versus wrong decisions as you lead and manage others.
· Reflect on the organizational influences that would influence your and/or others’ decisions.
· Reflect on the global and national influence you and/or others need to consider when making decisions as a leader.
|Assessing external influences on ethical decision making|
After reading this week’s resources, please answer the following questions:
· Reflect on the different legal and policy issues that managers and leaders face on a daily basis. Remember to address the global component of these.
· Discuss the importance of governance in enabling leaders and managers to make the right decision in the right way and for the right reasons.
· Reflect on the importance of leaders considering the future health and success of the organization and its shareholders, as well as other stakeholders in making decisions.