Read Chapter 2. Do the following study questions. Please submit them in paragraph form to the drop box. Please remember to save in MS WORD
There are several ways we count crime in the U.S. The major ones are the UCR, NCVS, and the Self-report surveys. The most common official way is the UCR. Go to the FBI homepage (see external links section) and examine the UCR.
1. Briefly describe the UCR. How does it operate, how and what data is collected?
Also list the 8 Part I or Index crimes. Note which four are personal (sometimes referred to as violent) and which four are property crimes. Which area of the country has the largest number of Crime Index offenses?
3. List 4 criticisms of the UCR.
4. How does the UCR compare to the NCVS in the number of crimes committed? Why?
5. What is the difference between a personal (violent) and a property crime?
6. What is the aging-out phenomenon?
7. What is the Crime Rate? What is the equation the UCR uses to calculate the crime rate