Writing Public Announcements. Please respond to the following:
- Analyze the effective press release you selected and describe the features that make it successful.
- Analyze the ineffective press release you selected and describe how you would change it to make it successful by making at least two specific recommendations for improvement.
Writing a Pitch Letter. Please respond to the following:
- You are directing the public relations campaign for a business that you patronize regularly. In an effort to get a newspaper reporter interested in doing a story about your business, you plan to write a pitch letter to entice the interest of the reporter. Choose one type of pitch that you think would be most effective for this business. Explain in detail why you think this would be the most effective pitch type.
- Choose any other type of pitch letter (see “The Pitch Letter” in Chapter 16) and explain why it would NOT work for the campaign you are managing.
‘New Product Introduction. Please respond to the following:
- Think about a new product that has recently been introduced to the marketplace, or of which you have just become aware. This product has probably been presented to the public by a combination of public relations, marketing, and advertising. Explain in detail how each of these tools was used to provide information to get consumers interested in the product.
- For the product you chose for the previous question, choose one traditional integrated marketing method and one 21st-century integrated marketing method that you believe would be most effective for marketing this product. Justify your choices.
eveloping Successful Websites. Please respond to the following:
- “Developing a Winning Website” in Chapter 8 discusses a number of strategic questions to answer while developing successful Websites. For the Website you chose in the e-Activity, identify and describe how these strategic questions were addressed when developing a Website.
- Many businesses are taking advantage of social networks to reach customers. Choose a company that you admire. This may be the same company you discussed in the previous topic, or it may be a different company. Describe how the company is currently taking advantage of social media outlets. Explain in detail how and why you think this use of social media is either helping or hurting the company.
E-ACTIVITY FOR QUESTION 4
Find on the Internet a successful Website for a business you patronize, and study the strategic questions it answers. Be prepared to discus
Companies in Crisis. Please respond to the following:
- Choose a company with which you are familiar and identify three important issues facing that company. Explain in detail why these issues are important.
- Choose one of the issues you identified in the previous topic. Propose how each step in the issue management process (see “Issues Management” in Chapter 19) can help the firm deal with this issue.
Planning for a Crisis. Please respond to the following:
- Successfully handling a crisis often depends on how well the firm has planned for the crisis in advance. Choose one crisis affecting a business that has been widely reported in the media. Explain in detail the ways in which this crisis could affect the business.
- For the crisis you discussed in the previous topic, explain in detail how the five crisis planning issues (Chapter 19, “Planning in a Crisis”) could have helped the firm deal with the crisis.