Organisational policy upon environmental management and sustainability
Critically examine the needs for organisational policy upon environmental management and sustainability.
Justify the various leadership styles and the need for clear organisational objectives.
Investigate the issues relating to organisational management and dynamics.
(bold will be covered by this assessment- others partially so)
Scenario / brief
You are a business management consultant who is working for one of the two companies outlined in the appendix.
The companies’ owners are concerned with the long-term prospects of the company and wish to consider its sustainability. They want to ensure that it is able to meet the needs of the current and future climate and markets including sustainable and modern construction techniques. To this end they want to refocus the current working of the company.
You should produce a report that includes the following analysis and associated justified recommendations for your chosen company.
• What type of business should it be?
• What leadership style would be required to support the company moving forward in a time of required changes to adapt to current working practices and potential markets? You should justify your choice through an explanation which shows your understanding of leadership.
• How would the company reach/ set its new organisation objectives and how would you ensure that they are disseminated to all its stakeholders? How would this choice impact upon the reaching of the individual projects completion?
• Should your company have an environmental management system in place? Back up you decision through the examination of how the environment is protected?
Marking will use the standard marking grid attached. The four sections must be completed to level which shows a level of analysis to the application of the theory to the given scenario. It needs to be in report format. Word count 1500-2000 – online submission.
Ass 1 Appendix
Bodge and Son Ltd
A small to medium size company specialising in refurbishments and extensions to domestic properties. They have been in existence for the last 15 years and employ 10 staff. Working out of offices in south Reading they work throughout neighbouring region.
A growing company that started out as a family business but expanded regionally to cover the south east over the last 20 years. More recently they have sought further grow the group by purchasing a local company in the Birmingham area which covers the midlands region. Working across residential, and commercial it continues to seek ways to increase its market share and be renowned for construction excellence.
ORGANISATION AND COHERENCE 20 0-8 9-14 15-20 Grade Awarded
• The study must be clearly structured and presented.
• The introduction must state an aim and explicitly identify the relevant arguments and areas to be addressed.
• These areas, once identified must be followed up logically in the main body of the study.
• There must be a firm conclusion of the areas discussed. Poor organisation and structure.
Some attention paid to the structure and organisation/coherence.
Evidence of discussion. Good structure, presentation and coherently expressed.
CONTENT 35 0-13 14-24 25-35
• The contents must clearly relate to the area of study, and the learning outcomes being tested, and demonstrate originality and creativity.
• Knowledge and understanding must applied to practice. Limited relevance to the area of study and practice.
Does not meet the theoretical learning outcomes. Addressed the aims of the area of study with some originality and creativity.
Applied to practice.
Just meets all the theoretical learning outcomes. Clearly relevant.
Original and creative.
Application and integration of knowledge to practice.
Clearly meets all the theoretical learning outcomes.
CLARITY OF EXPRESSION 15 0-4 5-10 11-15
• Areas must be clearly expressed, articulate and fluent, whether written or graphical, using appropriate technical terminology.
• Accurate spelling and grammar.
• Accurate calculations and logic Vague, over simplistic, unclear.
Poor spelling and grammar.
Poor calculations and logic Communication clear.
Spelling and/or grammar needs some improvement.
Calculations and logic needs some improvement Articulate and fluent.
Good spelling and grammar.
Good calculations and logic
LEVEL OF ANALYSIS AND SYNTHESIS 10 0-4 5-7 8-10
• There should be a clear critical analysis and synthesis of issues, which are well integrated and evaluated, as appropriate. Wholly or mainly descriptive. Shows some critical thinking and the beginnings of synthesis and evaluation. Well integrated study with clear evidence of critical analysis/synthesis, and evaluation relevant to the area of study.
USE OF LITERATURE SHOWING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING 10 0-4 5-7 8-10
• The study must demonstrate an appropriate use of academic literature/research, which is appropriate to the study. Limited use of academic literature/research evidence. Moderate range but depth and complexity appropriate to area of study. Extensive range, depth and complexity, which is appropriate to the area of study.
QUALITY OF REFERENCING 10 0-4 5-7 8-10
• All key sources must be cited, and a consistent and accurate use of Harvard referencing system must be maintained. Main key sources not cited.
Limited or no use of an accepted referencing system. Most sources cited using an accepted referencing system. All key sources cited.
Consistent and accurate use of an accepted referencing system.