France and the European Union
- Paper instructions:
Focus on some or all of the following questions in the research and paper.
1. What is the history of the country’s relationship to the EU?
2. Is your country big state/small state, poor state/rich state, old member/new member?
3. What is the general position on questions of “deepening” and “widening?”
4. How does country vote on key issues? Does it align with some other countries?
5. How do EU interests fit in with country’s overall foreign policy prospective?
6. What are the main pros and cons of EU membership? (consult polls)
7. What is the countries position on future of EU, the EU constitution, further integration, the euro currency, etc.
8. Focus on above issues as expressed by current/recent leaders and or parties?
9. What are the results of the EU parliamentary elections?
10. How strong is sense of national identity vs. European identity?
11. Does country have significant ethnic/national/religious/ minorities? Is there conflict?
12. What do polls say abut the status of religion and religious values?
13. Include basic economic indicators (economist.com)
14. What makes your case unique or interesting? Why did you pick it?
15. Include relations on U.S.