Assumptions and Word
Use college-level grammar and spelling and write in complete sentences. Number your answers.
Use values from the following links to answer the study questions:
Society Values at http://www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/Social/Topics/Values.htm
Personal Values at http://www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/Personal/Topics/Values.htm#personal_values
1. (6 points) Read “Online suicide is tragic, but don’t blame Internet” ( using this link http://www.loralane.com/F13/COSCI58OL/suicideBlame.pdf ) . Determine 3 values held by the author. List each value followed by a short description of why you think the author must hold that value.
2. (6 points) Read “On Online Suicide” (use this link http://www.loralane.com/F13/COSCI58OL/ononlinesuicide.pdf )Determine 3 values held by this author followed by a short description of why you think the author must hold that value. This article may offend you. The language sets the tone and gives you a feel for the author’s personality. Do not just say that the author has no values. You need to step out of your own beliefs and values and try to view the world the way the author does.
3. (4 points) Write a short argument (a paragraph) describing how you feel about the role the Internet plays in suicide. In your answer, clearly mention at least 2 values that you hold.
4. (2 points) What is the difference between a value assumption and a descriptive assumption?
5. (2 points) What is a definitional assumption? Give an example.
6. (7 points) Watch the video “Rethinking Thinking” by Trevor Maber at http://ed.ted.com/lessons/rethinking-thinking-trevor-maber.
Think of an experience from your own life when you are experiencing something negative, undesirable or uncomfortable (other than the parking lot example given in the video). Some examples include: someone cutting in front of you in a line at the store; a friend or family member who is always annoyingly late; or someone who leaves you disappointed because he/she breaks more promises than he/she keeps.
Break down your experience into the 7 rungs of the ladder. At each rung, name the rung with the term that was presented in the video and briefly explain what was happening internally and/or externally. Think about the following:
What were the emotions you felt?
What were the physical reactions you experienced in your body?
How did your behavior change?
Listen to the words of a song you like or look them up on the Web. Select a lyric from the song that demonstrates a particular value (or lack of that value). Create an attractive one-page flyer in Word. Use the techniques from the Word graphics video in the Module. You must include the information about a value to get a good score.
For example, in the song “It’s been a while” by Staind, the lyric:
“Why must I feel this way? Just make this go away. Just one more peaceful day.”
shows the personal value of inner peace, calm and quietude. The singer wants to achieve it but does not have it because of his addictions. Lyrics from
The flyer should include:
Page margins of .5 inch (1 point)
A WordArt of the song title. Use the formatting options to make it fancy enough that I can easily tell that it is a WordArt and not just text. (2 points)
A few sentences describing the phrase from the song, a value and how the lyric relates to the value (7 points). Use the list of value ( use this link to see the list http://www.loralane.com/CSIT58PPT/valueslist.htm) At least one graphic illustrating something in the song (1 point)
A page border (1 point)
The WordArt, graphics, text and border should be arranged and sized to fit on a single page. Resize the items so there is not a lot of white space. (1 point)