• Suppose you work in a hospital that just received twelve patients from a disaster event in your community. Your hospital is able to treat and provide necessary surgical services to those that require surgery. However, five patients are refusing care and requesting to be transferred to another hospital for the same services. Suggest the course of action that the hospital should take to meet the standards of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) related to public health in your community. Provide at least two (2) specific examples to support your rationale.
• Imagine that an unidentified individual with a gunshot wound has been transported to the emergency room. After taking the victim into surgery, the medical team realizes the individual is a minor. Examine the kind of consent that the team should obtain, and determine the resources that they could utilize in order to obtain this consent.
• Debate at least two (2) advantages and disadvantages of the requirement for healthcare organizations to implement electronic medical record (EMR) systems. Provide specific examples to support your rationale.
• Examine two (2) types of healthcare discrimination found in the text. Next, analyze the fundamental implications of the chosen two (2) types of discrimination to both a healthcare organization and to you as a consumer of healthcare services. Support your rationale with specific examples of such discrimination.
• Determine two to three (2-3) benefits of having health insurance for a family. Specify two (2) avenues through which families may obtain health insurance.
• Compare and contrast two (2) differences between health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and preferred provider organizations (PPOs). Classify the plan that you believe would be most beneficial for the majority of insured patients. Provide support for your rationale
• As a Human Resources manager for a mid-sized company in your area, you have been tasked with purchasing the best group health insurance for your organization. Analyze at least two (2) lifestyle choices relative to the effect(s) that these choices could have on the organization’s premiums. Support your rationale with two (2) health economic examples.
• Debate It: Take a position that the full implementation of the Affordable Care Act in 2014 will or will not create a market failure for insurance companies. Provide evidence to support your position.