To prepare for this assignment:
- Review Case Study: Sam and begin to develop a preliminary diagnosis of Sam’s presenting problems. (See attachment below)
- Download and familiarize yourself with the Case Conceptualization Exemplar and the Case Conceptualization Template. (See attachments below)
- Review this week’s assigned articles on short-term psychodynamic theories (5 articles), and think about conceptualizing Case Study: Sam from a short-term psychodynamic perspective, specifically time-limited dynamic psychotherapy (TLDP). (See attachments below)
- Review, if necessary, Chapters 1, 2, and 3 in Clinical Process: From Conceptualization to Treatment Planning. Think about how you can use the information from these chapters when you conceptualize Case Study: Sam.
- Consider the benefits and challenges of using a short-term psychodynamic therapy. Think about how you would address the challenges.
- Consult the DSM-5 and review Case Study: Sam. Formulate a preliminary diagnosis for Sam’s presenting issues.
- Review this week’s Web sites for empirically supported treatments appropriate for your diagnosis of Sam’s presenting issues. (The ESTs should also support TLDP.)
- Society of Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 12: Psychological Treatments
- NREPP: National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
The assignment: (The completed template should be 2-3 pages)
- Complete the Case Conceptualization Template for Case Study: Sam through the lens of time-limited dynamic psychotherapy. Practice your evidence-based practice skills by using empirically supported treatments.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course. Keep in mind the importance of using empirically supported research to support your points of view.