The Culture of American Consumption
1. Pick a topic about consumption in American culture
2. Develop a claim/thesis statement
3. Collect evidence
4. Develop arguing points
5. Support arguing points with evidence and logic
For Research Paper #1 you will be writing an argument about consumption in American culture.
Using one of the essays in “Consuming Passions: The Culture of American Consumption” (Chapter 1) as your starting point, you will formulate a research-based argument that explores consumption and consumerism in American culture and how it affects our personal identities and/or cultural identities.
First, you must develop a claim/thesis statement. For example:
Topic: Consumption in American Culture
Reading (sample): “The Semiotics of Home Decor” by Joan Kron
Claim (sample): In America, many people define their identities by the products that they own, which leads many Americans to spend money they don’t have in order to present themselves the way they want others to see them.
Once you develop a claim/thesis statement, you must start doing research and collecting evidence to support your claim. For this assignment, you need five (5) pieces of evidence:
1. Two (2) books: Signs of Life in the U.S.A. and a book of your choice.
2. Three (3) articles from academic journals using Chaffey’s library database (NOTE: the articles can come all come from one journal or several journals; the choice is yours).