Technology Solution Proposal for Hometown Deli
For your Stage 1 Project, you conducted a Five Forces (or similar) Analysis for your Hometown Deli and identified a process at the Deli that could benefit from the use of technology. In Exercise 1, you created a model of that process graphically to demonstrate your understanding of the major steps. The next step is to identify an appropriate technology solution that would improve that process. The proposed solution should address the business process, should be appropriate to the Hometown Deli, should be briefly described and its major components listed, and an explanation should be given for why and how this proposed solution will improve the business process. Be sure to read the instructions for the remaining projects in this Case Study (Projects 3-5) to get an understanding of the future projects that build on the proposed solution and to help you in deciding upon your solution. You want to propose a solution that can be used in the assignments that follow this one, so be selective and choose an appropriate solution.
Purpose of this Assignment
This assignment gives you the opportunity to apply your knowledge of technology solutions to improve a business process. This assignment specifically addresses the following course outcomes to enable you to:
- analyze internal and external business processes to identify information systems requirements
- identify and plan IT solutions that meet business objectives.
Using the textbook and external resources, write a short paper 1-2 pages in length, not including References page and cover sheet, responding to the bulleted items below. Remember to correctly cite and reference your sources with APA format. Use the Grading Rubric to be sure you have covered everything. Submit your paper via your Assignment Folder as a Microsoft Word document with your last name included in the filename.
Create a document that includes the following:
- Briefly explain the business process identified in Stage 1 and why it could benefit from a technology solution
- Propose a specific technology solution, describing it in a few sentences.
- List the major hardware, software and communications components that will be needed. How many of each you list is dependent on the solution you propose, but the important components needed to implement your proposed solution should be included. Your list should be applicable to your proposed solution and be appropriate for the Hometown Deli.
- Explain how the proposed technology solution will improve the process
- Explain how the proposed technology solution will support at least one strategic objective identified through the Porters Five Forces Analysis conducted in Stage 1.
|Technology Solution Example: If a grocery store had a need to reduce expenses and improve customer satisfaction, a proposed technology solution might be the implementation of hand-held scanners for customers reducing the need for cashiers. The hand-held scanners could update inventory real-time and update customers’ loyalty accounts also.This solution would require purchase of hand-held scanner devices and software that can interface with existing systems, appropriate wireless network, etc.|
The “right” and “wrong” answers have to do with whether or not you correctly incorporated the course concepts from the textbook and addressed all parts of the questions. You need to do some external research on at least one aspect of the assignment – your choice – and incorporate it and cite (and reference) it in APA format in your response. What, exactly, you propose as a technology solution will be evaluated as to whether it is appropriate for the Deli and could actually improve the process identified, and whether it is fully thought-out and supported with application of course concepts and research.