Strategic Management Case
This capstone course will require each student to construct a detailed and well-thought-out analysis of a business employing all the relevant strategic analysis tools studied in the course. This project will take the full term to complete.
Eighty percent (80%) of the semester grade will be determined based on the Strategic Management
Case, which is divided into three phases:
1. Phase 1: Proposal and initial analysis (20% of total grade)
2. Phase 2: Substantive draft (20% of total grade)
3. Phase 3: Final Case (40% of total grade)
The Strategic Management Case is an analysis of the firm selected by the student. The format of the report should include:
1. Description of the firm (brief history, critical strategic events, competitors, leadership, etc.). If there are any general situational assumptions or limitations on the scope of the analysis, these should also be specified here. This section should be limited to a maximum of five pages. Note:
Some students may select a new business venture for a firm they would seriously consider starting. For these students, this section will focus on a research based history, critical strategic events, emerging competition, and industry leaders.
2. The strategic analysis of the firm. The results of each strategic tool are presented along with a discussion of importance and implications. Also required are sections for financial analysis and assumptions, although the specific contents of these sections may vary considerably. With respect to assumptions, see point 6 under project tips.
3. Financial strategic assessment. This section should integrate the findings from all of the analytical exercises employed in section 2. A final and all-encompassing analysis is presented, along with the recommendations that you would make to the firm’s board of directors. This would include identifying what you would and would not do, and outlining any relevant alternate scenario plans or contingency plans. Be sure to address any potential competitive reaction.
At Phase 1 (Module 3) and Phase 2 (Module 6), the Strategic Management Case assignments should be submitted via the Dropbox to receive immediate feedback before progressing further. The Final Case should be submitted via the Dropbox.
This will be a long detail-oriented paper, and consequently there are no examinations. It is my sincere hope that you will find this project to be the most rewarding effort in your educational career.
This capstone course will require each student to construct a detailed and well-thought-out analysis of a business employing all the relevant strategic analysis tools studied in the course.
Phase I (Modules 1-3)
Outline for Strategic Management Case
Vision and mission statement
Strategic elements of the history
Assessment of mission and vision
EFE and CPM
Analysis of competitive position, opportunities, and threats
Financial Ratio Analysis
Analysis of internal capabilities and implications for your strategic decisions to follow
(Additionally, you need to create an outline for your Strategic Management Case (see steps on p. 389), write a brief history of the organization, and insert the current mission and vision statement. Identify what you believe are the strategic elements of the history and assess the mission and visions based on characteristics identified in Table 4 of the “The Business Vision and Mission” chapter.
You need to prepare an EFE and CPM for the company you selected for your Strategic Management Case. Prepare a written analysis of the company’s competitive position and opportunities and threats that need to be addressed.
In this module, prepare a Financial Ratio Analysis and IFE for the company you selected for your Strategic Management Case. Prepare a written analysis of the company’s internal capabilities and implications for your strategic decisions to follow.
(From Module 1)
• Outline for Strategic Management Case
• Company history
• Vision and mission statement
• Strategic elements of the history
• Assessment of mission and vision
• EPE and CPM
• Analysis of competitive position, opportunities, and threats
Prepare a Financial Projection for your organization (minimum 3 years). Integrate your financials and Executive Summary into your final case (see below for an outline of deliverables to include in the final case). Make any changes suggested from the Phase 2 feedback. Polish your work by editing the writing for clarity, continuity, external resources, and illustrations. Make sure to eliminate redundancies or earlier work that is no longer relevant.
(An outline of what should be included as part of the Phase 2 submission is included on the following page.)
In addition to the work required for this module, theFinal Strategic Management Casereport should include the following from previous modules:
(From Module 6)
• Your entirePhase I-IIreport with modifications based on the instructor’s feedback
(From Module 7)
• Product Positioning Map
• Evaluation of strategies and objectives to achieve most favorable market position
• Description of how you would implement your strategies
• Specific results you want to achieve including market, financial, and product or service goals