PLEASE READ AND ANSWER CAREFULLY!!
1. What challenges, if any, did you face in your decision to study or intern abroad? How did you meet these challenges and what impact do you foresee them having on your experience abroad? These could include, but are not limited to, being a parent, being a non-traditional student, having a learning or physical disability, being in a field of study for which it is difficult to incorporate study abroad, etc.
**YOU MAY ANSWER AND EXPAND IN YOUR OWN WAY. HOWEVER I WOULD LIKE TO ALSO MENTION FINANCIAL PROBLEM AS ONE OF THE BARRIERS (CHALLENGES) THAT EFFECT MY DECISION OF STUDY ABROAD**
Should you be selected to receive a Gilman Scholarship, you will be required to carry out a Follow-on Service Project upon your return to the U.S. which promotes the Gilman Program and international education on your home campus and/or in your community. All applicants will be required to write a proposal explaining how you will give back by inspiring others to pursue their own experiences abroad. Projects should maximize the impact of your experience abroad by extending the benefits you received to your campus and community. Projects should be clear, able to be completed in approximately one semester, and have obtainable goals. Examples of Follow-on Service Projects are attached. You should carefully review your essay and proofread your essay for spelling, grammar and content prior to submission. Summarize your Follow-on Service Project Proposal in paragraph format by addressing the following questions.
1. Briefly outline your proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education. How will this project impact your home university or home community? What are your project goals?
2. What is your target population and how will your project impact this group?
3. How will you integrate the impact of your experiences abroad into your project?
4. What, if any, campus departments, student organizations, and/or community organizations will you collaborate with in promoting the Gilman Scholarship and international education? Have you already made contact with these groups?