HOMEWORK1 Part A: answer only 2 of the 3 questions in one or two well –composed paragraphs 1. You’ve been parachuted into McDonald’s restaurant corporation as the brand manager for the Big Mac. Your objective is to grow sales of the brand faster than any other competitor’s product (burger and nonburger fast food). Outline your marketing strategy to achieve this objective.
2. You’ve start a new company and sales have grown to $50 million. You own 65 percent of current equity. The company is well positioned to take advantage of forthcoming market trends. However, you know that in order to capitalize on this you must expand rapidly within existing markets and internationally. Outline the options for financing your expansion. Discuss how this decision will impact your company in financial and cultural terms.
3. How is conducting business in the relationship era similar to and different from the way business was conducted in the colonial, industrial Revolution, entrepreneur, and production eras?
Part B: short answer: answer each of the following questions in one or two sentences.
1. Assume fixed costs equal $300,000. The price per unit equals $10 and the variable cost per unit equals $7. Find the breakeven point in terms of both units sold and sales revenue. 2. Describe the major differences between the New York stock exchange and the NASDAQ stock Market. 3. Explain what is meant by team cohesiveness. Why is a cohesive team important? 4. What are the major stages of the product life cycle? Why is the concept of a product life cycle so important to marketing planners? 5. Explain the key differences between employee stock ownership plans and employee stock option plans.
Part C: Multiple Choices: circle the letter of the correct answer to each question or statement.
1. When Chesebrough-Pond’s Inc. uses people and machinery to convert materials such as water, aloe vera gel, and mineral oil into Hand & Nail Formula lotion, Chesebrough-Pond’s Inc. is involved in
A. Creating time utility. B. Distribution. C. Production. D. Process utility.
2. The team concept, when using technology to combine the talents of geographically or organizationally dispersed workers, is called a ———— team.
A. Cross-functional B. Virtual C. Self-managed D. Remote
3. Which of the following transactions takes place in the primary market?
A. Buying 100 shares of Microsoft on the Nasdaq Stock Market B. Buying a corporate bond that was issued in 1990 C. Selling 100 shares of Merck on the New York Stock Exchange D. Buying a Treasury bond directly from the Treasury
4. Which of the following new securities issues would likely have the highest underwriting discount?
A. A bond issued by the city of Denver B. A bond issued by DuPont C. A U.S. Treasury bond D. Shares of a start-up biotech firm
5. Many developing nations have lower per capita incomes than highly developed countries. This fact A. Indicates that they represent an insignificant market for most products. B. Means that the developing nations are unlikely to experience much economic growth. C. Does not mean there is little opportunity for sales D. Means that they are only likely to purchase low-tech merchandise.
Part D: Fill the Blank: Write in the correct answer to each question in the space provided
1. Financial statement are prepared according to…………………………………. 2. A claim against a firm’s assets by a creditor is a/an……………………………………… 3. …………………is a situation in which there is a decline in the purchasing power of the dollar. 4. Some firms measure social performance by conducting……………………………………….. 5. ………………is a job design change that expands an employee’s duties and responsibilities.
Part A: Answer each of the following questions in one or two paragraphs. 1. What is departmentalization? Explain departmentalization based on work, products, geography, and customers. Provide an example of each. 2. What is interpersonal communication? Describe at least three factors that can distort interpersonal communication. Provide examples. 3. Define the term organizational development, and explain at least three organizational development activities.
Part B: Answer each of the following questions in one to four sentences.
1. Define the term organizational decentralization. 2. What is the difference between strategic and operational planning? 3. Explain the principles of group conformity and groupthink. 4. The term consideration and initiating structure emerged from the Ohio State Studies. Explain what these terms mean in relationship to leadership. 5. Briefly describe the Hawthorne effect. 6. Explain the norming storming stages of group formation 7. In the context of employee selection, what is the difference between test validity and reliability? 8. Define the term halo effect. Create an example to illustrate this effect. 9. Define the term system as it relates to management. What is the difference between an open and a closed system? 10. Explain the difference between positive and negative reinforcement.