HLS-498: HOMELAND SECURITY CAPSTONE
Module 6—Putting it All Together: Finalizing and Submitting Your Capstone Project
After successfully completing this module, you should be able to:
● Assemble a formal academic paper.
● Summarize the results of your project and produce an abstract.
● Discuss your project as a culminating activity of your studies.
● Writing the Winning Dissertation or Thesis (3rd ed.)
○ Review Chapter 18: Summarizing and Discussing the Results (pp. 259-256)
○ Chapter 19: Preparing the Dissertation for Defense
○ Chapter 20: Publishing from the Thesis or Dissertation
● Keys for Writers (7th ed.)
○ Review Part 3: MLA Documentation
○ Part 4: Chapters 14-16 [which contain APA documentation information]
Consult the following short articles:
● Developing an Abstract, available at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0U9Bi_H6FPJTk83MW5yT0hmMkU/edit?usp=sharing.
● Creating and Working with Appendices, available at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0U9Bi_H6FPJMHJ2ZzA1SWVqZms/edit?usp=sharing.
Module 6 contains 2 activities. Please consult the course Calendar for the due dates.
Discussion Forum 6
In Discussion Forum 6, post your response to the following discussion question. Reply to at least two classmates’ responses by the date indicated in the course Calendar.
Discussion Topic: Capstone Reflections
In one thread, answer the following questions:
● How will the study and your final project impact your personal or academic future?
● Did you succeed in achieving your goals for the study?
● In what way was this course a culmination of your entire course of study at Thomas Edison State College?
If you have produced a PowerPoint presentation of your capstone, include it as part of your thread for your classmates to enjoy. They served as a sounding board for the entire project. Allow them to enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Module Discussion Instructions:
When responding to discussion topics, copy the information requested and respond below it. If there are multiple questions, separate each accordingly.
Responses are to be made to two classmates’ postings. Avoid a phrase or sentence that does nothing to add to their presentation. Your discussion is important to the writer of the 1st Post.
Finalizing and Submitting Your Capstone Project
For this assignment you will finalize all chapters, assemble all components of your capstone project, and submit it to your mentor.
Be certain to revise all chapters based on feedback you have received from your mentor and classmates.
Your project should have the components listed below and they should be arranged in the same order. Consult the explanations given for guidance regarding what information to include under each of these components.
● Title page
Be sure to list the title of your capstone project, your name, your mentor’s name, the course code and name, your section number, and the date.
The abstract is a brief summary of your project. It should be no more than 350 words. It should briefly state the problem you have investigated, indicate the methodology you used to research the problem, and discuss your results. See Developing an Abstract at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0U9Bi_H6FPJTk83MW5yT0hmMkU/edit?usp=sharing.
● Contents page
● List of tables and figures (applicable only if you have tables and/or figures)
● Chapters (1-5)
You will need to finalize chapters 1-3, then arrange all five of your chapters in the following order:
○ Literature Review
○ Results of the Study or Creative Project
○ Summary and Discussion
● References or Works Cited
Use APA format for social science studies and MLA format for literary studies. Be sure you are consistent in your use of format.
(only if applicable) NOTE: Appendices do not count towards the number of pages in your paper. See Creating and Working with Appendices, available at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0U9Bi_H6FPJMHJ2ZzA1SWVqZms/edit?usp=sharing.
Remember, your paper is to be a scholarly report written in Standard Academic English and with appropriate documentation. It should be a minimum of 25-pages in length. Before submitting your work thoroughly proofread and revise.
Review the Final Project Evaluation Rubric link as you put the finishing touches on your paper, available at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0U9Bi_H6FPJck9xbUdmRFNJOHM/edit?usp=sharing.