Emerging Economies and Globalization
Markets in developed economies are approaching saturation level. Therefore, MNCs are searching for new untapped
markets in emerging countries such as India and China. Since the healthcare industry will continue to grow in the
future due to the size of the global population and its age composition, General Electric Healthcare (GEH) is trying
to capitalize on these trends. It is expanding its operations and development of new drugs and manufacturing of
the medical equipment in India and China.
Read the following articles:
• At least one peer-reviewed article related to the trade theories in general as well as for China and India
• Articles related to the human resource management for MNCs, cross-cultural management, expatriate
training, and expatriates’ success/failure in overseas assignments
• Articles related to GEH
Then, respond to the following:
1. Select two trade theories that best explain why GEH expanded its operations of developing new drugs to
India, and manufacturing X-ray business to China.
2. Explain the selected theories, and then evaluate GEH’s reasoning.
3. Explain possible pitfalls for such strategy from GEH’s perspective.
4. Identify solutions to the possible pitfalls for the strategy.
5. For each operation (India and China), evaluate GEH’s human resource strategy.
6. Identify how you would design training for preparing expatriates for their assignments to India and China if
you were in charge of their training prior to the overseas assignment.
Write a 7–10-page paper in Word format. Utilize at least five to seven scholarly sources in your research. Apply APA
standards to citation of sources.
Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate
representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria Maximum Points
Selected two trade theories that are specific and appropriate to the expansion of GEH. The theories explain why operations were expanded. 20
Explanation of theories is specific, accurate, and clear. The explanation includes how the theories are incorporated into the expansion of GEH. Evaluation of reasoning to expand is complete, appropriate, and accurate. The evaluation states how expanding benefits GEH. 44
Explanation of pitfalls is reasonable and appropriate. Explanation includes how and why the pitfalls are likely to occur. Pitfalls explained are reasonable based on the strategy. 44
Solutions identified are reasonable, appropriate, and likely to solve any possible problems. Solutions given explain how possible pitfalls could be remedied. 44
Evaluation of the human resource strategy is complete, specific, and in depth. The evaluation focuses on aspects of the strategy unique to each operation (i.e., diversity, acquisition, etc.). 60
Identification of training design is complete, clear, and specific. Training includes information on preparing for both professional and personal development. Justification for the training design is included. 60
Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. 28