Effective leadership negotiation strategies are helpful in building a sphere of influence, especially in times of emergency or a crisis. In this assignment, you will analyze a case study video and perform a situational analysis. The activity will allow you to assess the crisis situation and examine factors that affect the final resolution of the problem.
The purpose of this assignment is to develop your leadership and crisis management skills by using a real-life case study example.
Case Study: On July 19, 1989, United Airways Flight 232 DC 10 was en route from Denver to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, via Chicago. The plane had to make an emergency crash landing in Sioux City, Iowa, because of an engine failure that occurred 1 hour into the flight. Approximately 296 passengers including business people, vacationers, and children were on board.
Access the video about the air crash investigation for United Airlines, Flight 232 by clicking here. View at least the first 28 minutes of the clip. You may view the entire clip (44:01 minutes) if you wish.
Part 1: Personal Profile
The case study includes several characters such as the captain, the copilot, a DC-10 flight training instructor, and a senior flight attendant who play a crucial role in the final outcome of the crisis.
- Captain Al Haynes
- The copilot, Bill Records
- DC-10 flight training instructor, Denny Fitch
- Senior flight attendant, Jan Brown-Lohr
Select two of the characters involved in this case study and create a personal profile of each including their title, work type, position in job, education, training, and personality type. Include both of the personal profiles as appendices in your research paper.
Use your assigned readings, information from the Argosy library, the Internet and the case study video clip provided to develop a research paper that answers the questions below in Part 2.
Part 2: Choose one of the two characters you profiled and answer these questions in a 6-7 page research paper.
- Critically examine the role of the crew on board and explain situations that needed more attention and that could have been addressed within the given constraints.
- Describe at least three factors that affected the resolution of the problem.
- What is the main goal of the character you are analyzing? Support your response.
- How effective or ineffective was the individual in his/her attempt to meet the goals? Why?
- What specific personal negotiation and leadership skills did he or she demonstrate throughout the crisis?
- How well does the individual know himself or herself, and how effectively or ineffectively did he or she adapt to the circumstances and personalities involved on board Flight 232?
Complete a 6 to 7 page paper in Word format, citing sources of information. Apply current APA standards for writing style to your work. Make sure to include both of your personal profiles as appendices in your paper
|Presentation of Personal Profile of character #1 as an appendix. Presentation includes title, work type, position in job, education, training, and personality type.|
|Presentation of Personal Profile of character #2 as an appendix. Presentation includes title, work type, position in job, education, training, and personality type.|
|Explanation of situations that needed more attention by the crew and could have been addressed within the given constraints.|
|Description of three factors that affected the resolution of the problem.|
|Description of chosen character’s main role and the effectiveness of the role in the given situation.|
|Explanation of specific negotiation and leadership skills demonstrated by the chosen character throughout the crisis.|
|Description of how well the individual was able to adapt to the circumstances.|
Organization: Introduction, thesis, transitions, conclusion
Usage and Mechanics: Grammar, spelling, sentence structure
APA Elements: Attribution, paraphrasing, quotations
Style: Audience, word choice