International Business Entry modes case study essay
Assessment 1 – Assignment – Case study
• Type: Individual
• Value: 50%
• Word limit: 2500 words (variation within 10% more or less is allowed)
• Due: To be announced
Aims and background
Going international usually presents the firm with new environment, new ways of doing business, and a range of new problems, uncertainties and risks. One of the challenges faced by international business management is to choose an appropriate mode of entry when expanding its business to different foreign markets. Appropriate decision on entry mode is more likely to occur when solid analysis of the firm’s and the target markets’ situation are in place. By studying a real world case, this assignment is designed to help you consolidate your understanding on entry modes, the environment analysis associated with entry modes, and the strategic consideration behind entry mode choices. This activity also aims to sharpen your analytical skills and abilities for problem analysis and solving.
Procedures and questions:
- Choose any one (1) of the following three (3) companies as your case study and only focus on this selected case for the purpose of this assignment.
- Singapore Airlines
- Identify two (2) different entry modes that have been used by the selected company when internationalising its business to two (2) different foreign markets (Entry mode 1 for foreign market A, entry mode 2 for foreign market B). The identified cases should be from 1990 and onward.
- Answer the following questions:
1) Is the entry mode appropriate for each foreign market? Why? You need to answer this question by analysing how the political, legal, economic and cultural environments of each foreign market suits or does not suit the entry mode adopted by the company.
2) What are the strategic considerations behind each entry? You need to answer this question by analysing why
a) the timing of each entry and the scale of each entry mode
b) the level of control, risks, return and integration associated with each entry mode
suit the company’s then situation and how they can help the company achieve its then strategic vision/goal.
This assessment task should include the following sections:
¨ Title page (title of your report, your name, student number and word count)
¨ Environmental analysis of entry mode (Answer question 1 in this section. You can change the heading name and make your own sub-headings.)
¨ Strategy analysis of entry mode (Answer question 2 in this section. You can change the heading name and make your own sub-headings.)
¨ Reference List (is excluded from word counts)
1. The core of this assignment is to assess your level of mastery of the subject matters and your analytical skills in relation to market entry modes. Being descriptive is NOT appropriate for this assignment.
2. Keep the Introduction and Conclusion short (maximum 200 words each) and focus on the analysis.
l A minimum of six (6) academic journal articles must be cited.
l The assignment must be well-structured and well-presented.
l The clarity of expressions together with the appropriate use of grammar, spelling and punctuations are important to maintain.
l Any use of comments, information, data or quotations from any sources (books, journals, newspapers, web etc.) must be cited using Harvard referencing style.
l The 12 point font in Times New Roman should be used throughout. Appropriate spacing (1.5 lines) and margins on all sides (at least 2 cm) need to be maintained.
l Number each page.
- Level of mastery of the subject matters
- Quality of analysis and justification
- Academic writing clarity, logic and skills
- Quality, relevance and sufficiency of references