1. What are the major alternative staffing approaches for international operations? Explain the relative advantages of each and the conditions under which you would choose one approach over another.
2. Why is the HRM role so much more complex, and important, in the international context?
3. Discuss the challenges involved in staffing operations in emerging markets.
4. Explain the common causes of expatriate failure. What are the major success factors for expatriate assignees? Explain the role and importance of each.
5. What are the common training techniques for managers going overseas? How should these vary as appropriate to the level of globalization of the firm?
6. Explain the “balance sheet approach” to international compensation packages. Why is this so important? Discuss the pros and cons of aligning the expatriate compensation package with the host-country colleagues compared to the home-country colleagues.
7. Discuss the importance of a complete program for expatriate performance management. What are the typical components for such a program?